“The pain passes, but the beauty remains.” – Auguste Renoir
Growing is never easy; we face several things on our way. From being responsible to being beautiful, we have to deal with all of them.
First, we go through puberty, which is a phrase that includes psychological and social changeover from that of a girl to that of a woman. It marks its arrival in each of our lives, and with this phase, we start to experience many changes in our body including the growing body hair and other physical changes like the development of breasts, menses, body odor, and many others.
Most of the people among us choose to remove body hair, and the most common body areas are legs, arms, underarms, and pubic area which is also known as under legs. And the most common method that we use to remove this body hair is shaving, though we have other methods as well like wax, laser, or razors.
To look beautiful, and flawless we not only shave or remove hair from legs, or arms but from our pubic area as well. Do you know pubic shaving has originated in Egypt and Greece where prostitutes had to shave their pubic hair, both for hygiene and as a clear sign of their profession? Removing your pubic hair was also a trend in the porn industry around the 1980s where it was very common for women to shave their pubic hair. In today’s time shaving them has become very common, and desirable, especially among young girls.
Gone are the days when we use to feel shy talking about our body hygiene, now we openly talk about subjects like menstruation, virginity, HIV, and many others, considering our hygiene as a priority.
Removing your pubic hair is a personal choice, but if we want to stay hair-free and groomed all year then we have other hair removing methods as well like waxing, laser treatment, or razors. Consider any of them as per your convenience or health consequences.
As swimsuit season is around the corner, who doesn’t wish to flaunt that perfect figure along with the smooth bikini area that each of us desires to have? But those bumps that you get along the way after you remove your pubic hair, crash your longing to have that smooth and bump-free bikini area. Feeling gloomy? Ah don’t worry sweetheart, we have listed down a few tips on how to get the smooth shave down there. Smile a little more and read the best way to get a smooth bikini area.
Shaving your bikini area is quick and relatively pain-free than other alternative methods. See “how to get the best shave down there” and follow the instructions for a smooth and bump-free bikini area.
2. Trim your hair
Use the scissors to clip away your pubic hair to about 1/4” (6 mm) in length to cut down on your shaving time. To trim effectively and cautiously, pull the hair toward you and cut it into small sections. Trimming your hair also makes the actual shaving less painful.
3. Rinse it off
Rinse away the hair and damp a hand towel in hot water and hold it against your pubic area for the next five minutes. You can also opt for a hot bath in a bathing tub or shower for at least 3 minutes. The hot water helps soften the skin, and avoid pimples and post-shaving irritation.
After you soak, let it dry for few minutes, this allows the skin to recuperate a little.
Exfoliating the bikini area before and after you shave makes the area more smooth and bump-free. It also sloughs away surface impurities and dead skin cells. It retextures extremely dry skin and enhances skin moisture.
5. Shaving Cream
Apply a thin layer of fragrance-free female shaving cream if you prefer shaving your bikini area. Lubricate your skin with the cream and let it stay for 2 to 3 times to soften your skin. Shaving creams that are formulated for bikini area use are often irritant-free.
Consider an antibacterial ointment to protect your delicate skin and make sure you DO NOT USE SOAP! It can lead to bumps.
6. Taut your skin
When shaving, pull the skin tight with one hand and run the razor along your bikini line without putting any pressure. Move slowly over the skin and shave in the direction of the hair growth. Use a hand mirror to check and navigate the area you have left to have. Feel free to reapply shaving cream as needed and continue to shave till you get satisfying results.
Wash the razor after every one or two strokes, to get more effective results. Also, use a safety razor like a razor with moisturizing strips rather than using switchblades or disposable razors.
7. Wash the area
Once you get that clean bikini area, rinse off the area generously with lukewarm water. Soak the area softly with a washcloth.
8. Apply Aftercare
To keep your skin smooth, and pimple-free, you can use soft baby oil and for post-shave irritation, you can apply a thin layer of aloe vera gel.
You can also apply a toner or astringent to prevent ingrown hair and bumps. It also prevents infection and decreases inflammation.
In any case, DO NOT USE MALE AFTERSHAVE, it will nip dreadfully.
Sugaring is an ancient method of hair removal. It is similar to waxing but is considered less painful and gentler. It removes your hair faster than your regular waxing. It has less fear of irritation and with time frequent sugaring can cause the hair follicle to become damaged and stop the hair growth.
How to prepare sugar wax at home?
- Take 8 units of sugar, 1 unit of water, and 1 unit of lemon juice.
- Heat a pan and mix all the ingredients in it over medium-high heat.
- Stir the mixture till it’s melted and do not overheat it.
- A thick brown liquid is ready; use it once it is slightly cool.
- Now apply it to the area you want to remove hair from and use a clean cloth or waxing strip to pull the hair from your skin.
- Apply ice or astringent over the area you have just waxed to tighten the pores.
- This recipe can be used to remove hair for both body and face.
This process can be repeated after 8 to 10 days of hair growth, unlike waxing.
“A man will go to war, fight, and die for his country. But he won’t get a bikini wax – Rita Rudner”
Waxing is indeed a painful option but if you still choose it then try not to shave in between sessions because shaving makes your hair stubble and it gets difficult to wax stubble hair easily. Your hair also needs to grow to a certain length to wax your pubic hair evenly. Once you remove your pubic hair from waxing, you get relief for 3 to 4 weeks.
Test the temperature of the wax before using it, because hot wax can burn you, and hard wax will be impossible to use.
Also, apply astringent or baby oil to soothe irritation or any discomfort.
11. Laser Treatment
Laser hair removal is a growing trend in getting rid of unwanted hair, especially in the bikini area and that too permanently. It also helps you achieve a smooth bikini line without “shaving down there”. Laser hair removal treatment is one the most effective and has improved over the past few years.
We have several myths about shaving our bikini area, which is purely considered myths and not true. A few of the myths are:
- That shaving makes your hair grow back faster, which isn’t true. Your hair will grow back the same as it did before you started shaving.
- That shaving always creates ingrown hair, which is false. Shaving doesn’t mean that you will get ingrown hair every time you shave. It’s just that some people get more ingrown hair than others.
- That shaving makes your hair thicker, which is again not true. Your body has a set number of follicles and the hair will be the same as they were before you started shaving and not any thicker.
- Do not shave immediately after you wake up, because the body fluids that have been accumulated under the skin during your sleep make your skin puffier. Wait for 20 to 30 minutes and let the fluids regress.
- If the clean and smooth bikini excites you for amazing sex. We recommend you to wash your bikini area if you use a condom because the baby oil that you have applied on the bikini area as aftercare deteriorates your condom.
- Do not use any creams, lotions, or moisturizers with anti-aging ingredients or other additives. This can lead your skin to sting and irritation.
- Do not ever use an electric razor with rotating blades, especially when you are using it in your pubic area.
- Do not shave immediately if you experience any irritation or cuts.
- Avoid wearing skin-tight clothes, it can irritate and can also cause ingrown hair to form. You can wear cotton underwear or loose pants.
- Do not shave dry.
- Do not shave in the upward direction of your body.
- Do not shave over recent razor bumps.
- Do not use an old razor, it may cause you an infection.
Always remember a hygienic and beautiful body makes you more confident, even if that means going through a little pain and cleaning your bikini.
No matter how you remove your hair, be sure your skin is prepared.